Eight dead in Afghan suicide car bomb.
Eight people were killed and 30 others injured in a suicide car bombing in Khost, eastern Afghanistan, police said, updating an earlier toll and warning it could rise further.
A suicide car bomb went off Friday morning in Khost city capital of Khost province, 150 km southeast of capital Kabul, killing nine people and injuring over 30 others, a provincial official said.
"So far, I can confirm nine people including a policeman were killed and over 30 others injured in the blast," Amir Badshah Mangal, Director of Public Health Department in the province told Xinhua.
He said many women and children were also among the killed and wounded persons, adding that many of seriously wounded are receiving treatment in the provincial capital hospital.
The death toll could rise, as many injured remain in critical conditions, he added.
The suicide bomber was also killed in the explosion.
however, local residents said that the bomber had the intention of attacking the house of Khost governor, nearly 150 meters a way from explosion site.
A witness told Xinhua's reporter that the blast damaged several shops and houses around the blast site in west of Khost city.
Nor group or individuals have not claimed responsibility for attack while Taliban militants have been behind most suicide and roadside bomb attacks across the war-ravaged country.
The eastern Khost and neighboring Paktika province has been the scene of Taliban-led insurgency over the past couple of years.
Dave Lindahl Scam